What We Believe
Over the centuries, mankind has often abandoned the activities practiced by New Testament Christians for other ideas based upon human tradition and desire. It is the desire of Christians at the Canal Church of Christ to simply follow the example of Jesus and the spiritual pattern of collective worship revealed in the New Testament.
The Canal Church of Christ is independent of all other congregations, even other churches of Christ, because the Lord has not authorized us in His Word for multiple congregations to be under a central governing body. We have no president or Pope, the church does not have yearly conventions, and the way we worship has not changed in nearly 2,000 years. The head of the church is Jesus Christ and His commands written in the Inspired Bible are sufficient. Following the Biblical pattern, we see that each New Testament church were autonomous and under local overseers called elders (1 Corinthians 16:1-2; Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:2). We must do the same if we are to truly follow the Bible and be approved by God.
What To Expect
When we assemble, one can expect:
- Congregational singing of songs of praise to encourage and educate in spiritual truths without the use of instruments (Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16).
- Prayers offered with humble appeals of request and thankfulness to God through Jesus Christ (Acts 2:42; 1 Thessalonians 5:17).
- Biblical preaching, presenting relevent and understandable studies from God’s word to exhort, rebuke, and build faith (Acts 2:42 and 20:7).
- Partaking of the Lord’s Supper, the memorial feast of unleavened bread and fruit of the vine, observed each Lord’s Day in remembrance of Christ’s death and sacrifice for our sins (Acts 2:24 and 20:7; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26).
- A voluntary contribution each Sunday, giving the church an opportunity to give back a portion of the many blessings God has richly given to us in accordance with the scriptures. This contribution is used to carry out the work of the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2; 2 Corinthians 9:6-7).